** Please RSVP to Nancy’s Office Manager (Tiffany Doherty: email@example.com) for meetings, so we know how much food to order. **
- Friday, Sept 22, noon-1 (Taylor Institute Conference Room/TI 230): Please RSVP (see above). We’ll welcome new members, discuss Helen Sword’s Air & Light & Time & Space: How Academics Write (or at least get started — some may not have read it, but we can summarize and start).
- Friday, October 20, noon-1 (TI 230)
- Friday, November 10, noon-1 (TI 230)
- Friday, December 8, noon-1 (TI 230)
- Lesson Study Project on Close Reading by subgroup of the English SoTL Research Group (funded by University of Calgary Teaching and Learning Grant)
- ISSOTL17 in Calgary anyone?
- Oct 3: discuss “Teaching Close Reading Skills in a Large Lecture Course” by Theresa Tinkle, Daphna Atias, Ruth M. McAdams, and Cordelia Zukerman
- Oct 31: share close reading materials, write our individual descriptions of “close reading,” practice a close reading
- Dec 5: discuss materials from Oct 31
- Jan 27 (TI 214): We discussed the definitions of “close reading” we’d individually written at a prior meeting, as well as how we applied that definition in a follow-up exercise. Nancy distributed copies of Digging into Literature.
- March 3 (TI 214): Introduction to Sherry Linkon’s Literary Learning (copies c/o Morgan Vanek and Michael Ullyot). We’ll discuss the whole book at our next meeting. Plans to propose panel for ISSOTL17.
- March 31 (TI 214): We’ll discuss Sherry Linkon’s Literary Learning.
- April 28 (TI 214): More on Sherry Linkon’s Literary Learning.
- May 26 (TI 230): More on Sherry Linkon’s Literary Learning. This summer, let’s read Helen Sword‘s new book (copies c/o Faye Halpern).
- Tues, July 25 at noon: Talk with Sherry Linkon, Literary Learning
- Friday, August 25, noon-1 (TI 230): discuss Digging into Literature